A Glimpse at Our Past
Bishop Martin McNamara of Joliet asked the Marian Fathers to take a census of the new subdivision around the seminary. A Mission of Notre Dame Parish in Clarendon Hills was established at the Marian Hills Seminary chapel and became known as Tri-State Mission. Fr. John Savukynas was asked to care for this new Mission, the forerunner of the Marian parish of Our Lady of Peace in Darien, Illinois. Later in 1950, Fr. John leaves St. Mary’s and Fr. Alphonse Micka is appointed to succeed him.
The mission becomes a parish — St. Mary’s in Clarendon Hills.
Ground was broken for the construction of St. Mary’s School and Church (now our school gymnasium).
The first Mass was celebrated at St. Mary’s Church.
St. Mary’s Church was blessed by the Rt. Reverend Romeo Blanchette, then Vice-General of the Joliet Diocese.
St. Mary’s School opened with Grade 1 taught by Mrs. Winifred Godzik and Fr. Al serving as the principal.
The Sisters of St. Casimir accepted an invitation from Fr. Al to teach at St. Mary’s. That September, Grades 1 through 6 were taught at our school.
Grade 7 was added to St. Mary’s School.
Grade 8 was added to St. Mary’s School.
The Our Lady of Peace Rectory was built, and Fr. Al and Fr. Brown no longer had to commute from the Marian Hills Seminary.
The need for a larger, separate church was apparent and a building committee was formed.
Ground was broken for the new church.
The first mass (First Holy Communion) was celebrated in our new church.
The church was blessed by Bishop Blanchette, then Bishop of the Joliet Diocese.
The new addition to the school opened — housing the library, learning center, science room and religious education offices.
St. Mary’s Parish was renamed Our Lady of Peace.
The parish celebrates its 25th anniversary.
— From a special publication commemorating the 25th anniversary of Our Lady of Peace Parish.